Sunday, May 15, 2011

Chapter 74: Still Busy


Rex's detective work again runs into his wife's family. The mad scientist Hawk (who wasn't very mad until age took its toll on his brain) is arrested for wrongfully using government funds to build killer robots.


Nol is pissed off about her brother's arrest. She firmly believes he would have never unleashed those robots.

What's next? Is Rex going to go after Pablo?


Rex receives an award for his sharp detective work. The mayor wears a special hat to be funny.


Dax's genetics - or rather, his mother's - remain strong in this town.

Pablo recently discovered that his grandfather, Jason, was the half-brother of his wife's grandfather, Dax. Jason disowned Dax way back before Chapter 52.


An X-Ray machine gets out of hand at the hospital.

What have you done, Arthur?


As soon as Ashby is done taking care of a malfunctioning hospital, she has to run to a house fire.

"Save my home!" Rusty Cantina cries. The teen's resemblance to Dante is unmistakable, and he also wears the foreign-looking crap most of the other town vampires have chosen to wear. He's Pablo's half-brother, but he's younger than Pablo's daughter and will outlive Pablo's great-grandchildren.

If he doesn't catch on fire, anyway.


Ashby finds Kerry near the blaze. This is suspicious, but suspicious is her husband's line of work, not hers.


Ashby hears screaming from inside the house, but can't get in until the fire is somewhat under control. It's very bad.


Once a path is cleared, she breaks down a door with her axe.


"You saved me," Dante murmurs, in a daze.

Ashby shrugs. "It's my job, Grandpa."


Fischer pretends the red triangle pieces are pizza. Luke has more important concerns.


Nol tries to spend more time connecting with her grandchildren.


And it's none to soon, because Luke is getting older.

"Why does Kipp have to go away on Saturday?" Fischer whines. "I wanted to play."

"Because she does," Luke says. Luke has already figured out the reason, but can't bring himself to ask his parents about it. Their mistakes don't matter to him; Luke has a strong conscience and will not go astray himself, he thinks. Now if only he could find a girl.


Ashby and Rex spend their mornings at the firehouse, climbing up the poles for exercise.


A fire breaks out across the street from the school. Pauline and Javier panic.


So do Fischer, Kipp, Stacey, Carol, and... Amos Grisby, that one kid who faints.


Instead of using this opportunity to scout for boys, Kipp plays tag with Janet, allowing little Rena Newbie to put the moves on one of the only boys in town who isn't distantly or closely related to the Archer kids.


Yay tag.


Luke gets up before dawn to do his homework. His father insisted he should get a job to learn responsibility, so Luke has a part time job at the book store. He loves being around books, but it really does eat up his time, making it difficult to balance sleep, school, eating, homework, showering, and job-work. He also wants to write a science fiction novel.


Iago never ceases to amuse.

Rex stares. "You want me to find out who's sending you junk mail?"

"And destroy them," Iago nods. "Why? Is that a problem?"


Rex follows an investigative lead to France. His in-laws tag along, promising not to bother him. They're old and spend most of the time curled up in bed, viewing the beautiful countryside through the window.


Nol makes a trip to the shops.


Sometimes being an ex-thief is hard.


Secret... A-a-a-a-agent Maaaan.


Rex looks out, to see what he can see.


Someone doesn't take kindly to Rex's prying.


After washing up, Rex quietly reads with Nol.

Until she interrupts. "Most people would despise their in-laws. And most men would have broken up with my daughter, after what she did."

Rex shrugs. "We patched things up. We have a lovely family."

Nol presses on. "Pablo and I want you to know we didn't raise her that way."

Rex has his doubts about his wife's family's moral character and sanity, but he keeps them to himself. Half of the things he knows, most people wouldn't. Thanks to things he uncovers in his line of work Rex knows about a history of insanity, criminals, and eccentricity. But Nol and Pablo have always been kind.

"Some people get the best parents and role models, but because of their good fortune, those are also the people who can't appreciate them," Rex says.


Ashby's not having fun.


The scientists panic because someone set loose a herd of llamas in their building.


Back in France!

"Son," Pablo stares. "What the hell happened to you?"

"Undead bear," Rex rasps. "But I got a gnome out of it!"

And with that, it's time to go home.


 Since he's such a natural at this cooking thing, Fischer holds a bake sale. At night. Odd kid.


Ashby deals with a huge house fire. Lydia here nearly suffocated, but she'll be fine.


Pauline will be fine too.


Rex plays chess with Iago while he worries about his wife.


What was this, a party none of Ashby's kids were invited to?


Am encounter with Zephram's ghost gives Luke's wild imagination more fuel.


To the invention bench!


Rex sits down with a copy of Luke's first novel, a sci-fi thriller about psychics.

"Are you proud of me, Dad?" Luke asks. "I did a lot of research, talking to vampires about their psychic abilities."

"Of course," Rex responds, finding it an odd and insecure question. "You've always made me proud, Luke."


Rex releases deadly spores.


Kipp understands Luke's fear of gnomes. He's kept quiet about it since he turned teenager, but the gnomes are the reason Luke wants to move out of the house as soon as he turns adult.


 Brilliance at breakfast.

___________________________________________________
Etc.: Perfect Children is kicking my tail this generation. Luke actually didn't achieve it, because I thought he had all 3 points on the oven, but he only had 2. I noticed when he ran to make waffles as a teen, and jumped to skill level 2 instead of 3. I do not count this as failure, personally, because I'm a very absent-minded person and I would have completed the requirement if I had remembered. Childhood is one of the easiest stages.

I want more time for the kids to spend with family, but it's just impossible, micro-managing the needs of three kids. As well as their parents, who both have Ambitions jobs. It's annoying. When I don't have perfect children, they tend to be making A's without my notice or care. When I roll perfect children, my child sims start plotting to flunk school.

2 comments:

  1. I'm absent-minded, too. I hate perfect children. So much.

    Great update! I so want to travel, and I think my new computer can handle it (it seems to be handling this huge neighborhood and expanded SP pretty well) but I've hesitated to go. Maybe next generation.

    it's great you are getting all the cool emergencies. My firefighters always got stupid small housefires, over and over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! =)

    I don't think I will travel at all in my next legacy, as much as I love world adventures. When using MC, it always brings up tourists or people from the other countries as well as my town sims. I figure maybe I can get rid of that nonsense if I don't travel. I hate those mystery people so much. x.x

    Ashby hasn't had small house fire in a while. Mostly it's just large ones. And somehow she isn't at the top of her career yet. I really want the ribbon and golden fire hydrant my first firefighter got. X-Ray Disaster was weird (my other firefighter never had that). Sadly it only gave one of the little medals.

    ReplyDelete