Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chapter 45: Act Two

Cruz doesn't have to worry about his son, Paprika explains. She's been promoted, the townspeople are beginning to respect her important research into the afterlife, and her family has enough money to provide well for Zephram's education. Martin and Melody will be supportive grandparents, and Paprika is close enough to her diverse extended family to ask for help at any time.


"That's great," Cruz replies, hiding his amusement over the idea of anyone respecting paranormal investigation, "but he needs his father."

"No he doesn't!" Paprika protests. By now they've made it up the steps and almost into the nursery. "Look, you're probably a great person. But you're not actually needed. You're just one extra adult, and I don't want to complicate your life by forcing you to care about my decision to have this child."


"I'm not an extra adult, I'm his father, and he needs to know I didn't reject him."

"I..." Paprika is, for once, bested in a game of logic. "I wouldn't let him think that."

"It doesn't matter what you say," Cruz growls. "What matters is what Zephram sees. According to you, he's going to see that his father helped spawn a child, and then moved on."

"You can see him whenever you want." Paprika is uncomfortable making this concession, but it feels only fair. "But I don't want a real relationship. I like you, I'd love you again, but I'm never going to marry you. I'm a complete person, and I don't need or want another half. If you hang around my house and try to be a part of Zephram's life... other women are going to think you're a part of mine. So you'd better start setting boundaries... because I'm very bad at it."

Intermission: Barney's Salon & Tattoo has shipped ten brand new uniforms to Martin, on account of his elder status. They're even more drab than the last ten. The two with stars on them would be excellent science teacher clothes, though.


     

Back to Cruz and Paprika. Cruz has not given up within the last five minutes. He's progressed to complimenting Paprika over and over, as if flattery will work.


Cruz seems quite taken with her, but Paprika is convinced he's just thinking of the baby.


She can't have a relationship based on that.

Maybe a serenade will work.


"Oh!" Melody exclaims, "He's pretty good. I would know."

Paprika shakes her head and steps into the nursery, intent on settling Zephram in to one of the old cribs that time and use have made soft. And then her phone rings.


It's Dax Sunder, a schoolmate she never knew very well, but danced with at a party not long ago. He hasn't been able to get Paprika off his mind since.

"Not a good time, Dax."

"I haven't been able to get you out of my mind. The way you danced was... forgive me if I'm wrong but... incredibly suggestive."

"You sound like a stalker." She's not trying to flatter herself; she's just not in the mood.


Dax laughs. "Just invite me to your next party."

The next party is not long in coming. Although Paprika's excuse for having another party is to celebrate the birth of her son, she chooses a time when Cruz is at work to hold the little shindig.


It's actually a joint celebration. The second thing to celebrate is Sifton's promotion to filing clerk; the young vampire has dropped her dreams of starring in films in favor of pursuing the real money. It's all in the business field.


Paprika's parties are always wild, crowded with guests. Dax here takes a good look around and likes what he sees. Especially that fridge. It would go for hundreds of thousands if he could just get it out of here without being seen.

Dax has to chat up the latest heir to the Archer house before he has that kind of access.


"Just... see me after the party," Paprika whispers in his ear.


Valencia Wicks can read their body language and is shocked. Paprika just had a kid with Cruz Caspian, and all.

Not even Martin's daughter's parties are not safe from his professional stylist solicitations.


Sacha cuts in to dance with Dax. Her psychic senses tell her something is very wrong with him, and it's not his lilac eyes or the white steaks in his hair. Dax is all human, but also all bad news.


Kory has escaped downstairs to try out Melody's electric guitar. There's always at least one rude guest who has to venture down to the study uninvited. Martin is worried that some of his father's collection may mysteriously go missing someday.


At least Kory is family, though. He's a nice boy.

"I can tell you're reading my mind, monster," Dax hisses. "I've been trained to recognize that look. That feeling. And I'd suggest you keep your distance from my business."


Paprika lures Kory upstairs with promises of showing the young scientist her Banshee Banisher. Oh, if only he were as smart as the person who made this thing, Landgraab Industries would kidnap him, lock him up and force him to work on their weapons of mass destruction and world domination devices. It's every scientist's dream.

Paprika brings a serving of food to Dax, surprised to find him in the basement.


"Thanks," Dax mumbles, tearing his eyes away from the glittering skull-cut gems, expensive vases, and bars upon bars of perfect smelted palladium. "I was hungry."

When Dax returns upstairs to eat it, Sacha appears from the shadows to warn her granddaughter.

"You should stay away from this man," she pleads. "You can't believe anything he says."

"Yeah, yeah. I know what he does for a living," Paprika scoffs.

"You..." Sacha blinks. Hard. "You do?"

"Yes." Dax told her all about his job as a political yes-man. "I don't care much about it, and I'm just having a harmless... I don't know... I wouldn't call it a fling. I'm not even that into him. It's none of your business."


Sacha slinks away uneasily.

Her granddaughter's reaction has hurt her, though Paprika doesn't understand how much, yet.

Most of the guests have left for the saloon. Martin and Melody enjoy dancing alone together.


Maybe they're too old for this.


Paprika sneaks upstairs to make love to the man with lilac eyes.


_______________________________________
Etc.: I miss Sacha and her frightened glances.

Dax appeared in screenshots before, but was never pointed out.

My boyfriend's reaction to Dax was "he's awesome" and then, "are you sure you want those genes in your legacy?"

2 comments:

  1. I feel for Cruz, I really do.

    And evil Dax is awesome, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, poor Cruz. I like Paprika, though, she's going to make for a very fun and interesting generation, I think.

    ReplyDelete