Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Chapter 51: Fight!

Zephram washes his hands after every activity. He washes them when he is nervous, when sees something violent on television, and when he smells something he doesn't like.


Before bed, he washes his hands in the kitchen sink, and then in the bathroom sink. He doesn't like the smell of soap and scrubs extra hard to get it all off, to be truly clean. On bad days, Zephram's hands bleed.


Not being mentally disturbed herself, Paz doesn't think she has anything to be worried about. But when nameless fear clouds her thinking, she goes running, and it melts away.


Paz does not always know where she's going. That's part of the relief, part of the thrill.


Paprika attends one of Sifton's social parties. Sifton's career in business is getting more or less political. 

In the kitchen, Paprika sneaks some of Sacha's special-cooked sushi, her favorite food. She's not sneaking the food (Sacha knew she was coming), but rather sneaking away from the other guests, who are snobby and annoying.


Dax was not invited. He's here to pick the pockets of the rich, and didn't count on Paprika being here to recognize him.


But instead of talking to him, she gives him the cold shoulder, and silently returns to the other guests. If he wants to pick through her grandmother's kitchen, he can face the vampire's wrath.

Dax follows Paprika outside, where she's now dancing with one of her uncles.


"So it's been a while," Dax interrupts. "Have you thought about it?"

"I don't want to talk to you here," Paprika says tonelessly.


"Then where do you want to talk to me?"

"Maybe she doesn't," Pavel suggests.


"Hey, you! Butt out, vampire! Nobody likes your kind. You pale abominations think you run this town, but you don't." According to the thought bubble Dax especially hates Shea, Roxie Lin's son.


Pavel rolls his eyes. "Can I arrest him for harassment, Paprika?"

But Paprika is already walking away.

Apparently brave tonight, Dax continues to lash out at the hated cop.


Pavel isn't one to abuse his authority, but Dax was more or less asking to have his teeth knocked out.


Arthur supplies dramatic fight music.


It was a mistake to challenge Pavel.

"And stop making my jacket style look bad, punk!"

Meanwhile, Melody and Martin are out at The Grind. Cruz babysits, and he's kind of a drag.

"Be good! Play nice!"
__________________________________________
Etc.: A mini-chapter. Special thinks to Dax and Pavel, who put on a marvelous performance even though I thought their dislike for one another was entirely fictional...

I initially had Paprika and Dax interacting, since he conveniently showed up at Sifton's party, but those pictures weren't very exciting. Then I got distracted with something Zephram was doing and when I switched back to Paprika, Dax and Pavel were screaming at each other.

9 comments:

  1. *farts hearts at Pavel*
    Awesome fight scene with an excellent soundtrack, lol. I did the Cpt. Kirk fight music in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! The music from Amok Time? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NJQvswrSPg)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, that's the one. And thanks for the awesome video link, I sing that song when my cats fight, so very appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. I have no idea you were a Trek fan. <3 It must make reading my blog easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL, I do enjoy your Trek references. I grew up watching the original series and it made deep impressions on my consciousness.
    When I was a kid, I had these nylon knee socks that had Spock on one side and Kirk on the other. They were so groovy. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sound AWESOME! =D

    I've watched all of ToS and I think it's great, even though my boyfriend and I were making fun of all the sexism in it. We grew up in the 90's so it's kind of crazy to see how much things have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The funny thing is, it was quite progressive for its time. Having an OMG Russian! on the crew during the cold war was a pretty big deal, and there were lots of messages about racial equality and stuff in some episodes. Done in an obvious, heavy-handed manner, like the black/white face aliens, lol. But yeah, when I look back at the show now, the sexism does stand out.

    My socks were awesome, and I was teased mercilessly for them. But I was a weird kid, lol, and I loved my Spock socks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hugs. =( I would have adored your Spock socks.

    Trekkies often gush about how progressive the show was and how it changed society, but most of them are too young to have "been there" so it's cool to hear those same examples from someone who actually was there. Please forgive me for geeking out, lol. ^.^' That's just really cool. Star Trek is often still the standard for where we want our technology to be (especially medical magic).

    Even funnier... even with how obvious it was, the producers thought the audience would be too stupid to get the progressive messages. But Roddenberry banked on his audience being smarter than the producers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's true, as a kid watching Star Trek, I was often given new ways of looking at society. It seems silly in retrospect, but Chekov's presence on the crew really was groundbreaking. At the time we mostly got messages about how the godless commies will kill you and your babies, and no one could imagine a time when the U.S. and U.S.S.R could have any kind of relations (or that the USSR could ever fall the way it did). So my experience with Chekov was like 'wow, Russians are regular people! Maybe in the future we won't be under constant threat of nuclear holocaust!'
    Star Trek definitely had a part in forming my mind, and I think it did have a pretty big role in shaping our society. It did a lot of things no other TV show dared to do.

    ReplyDelete