Monday, February 14, 2011

Chapter 46: Menaced

Dax likes seeing Paprika, and Paprika likes seeing Dax... to a point. He's interesting. He's vague. He's mysterious. He has no strings attached. And she wants him to stay that way.


Dax invites Paprika to his house. He's invited Nakisha as well (her thought bubble says it all), and Paprika gets a glimpse at Dax's mother, Domino.

"On my way to work," she says gruffly. "Don't bother me."

Paprika turns around to see Dax dancing with Nakisha. A moment later Nakisha has to run off to work, leaving Paprika and Dax alone.

"Do you have anything with Nakisha?" Paprika asks.

"No, she's my brother's girlfriend." Dax is disappointed to sense no jealousy in Paprika's tone. She didn't want to get in her friend's way, and that's all there was to the question.

She smiles. "Well then..."


Since Zephram, Paprika has been more careful. But a bit too much nectar and a bit too much Dax leads to an unexpected second pregnancy. Not wanting to hurt feelings this time by not inviting the father to the hospital, she invites Dax over to tell him about it.

"I guess it's over between us," he says, as he grabs a lollipop away from Zephram.


Paprika can't wrap her brain around why her father gave his infant grandson such a large lollipop. She stares blankly as her son squirms and screams on the floor. "Over?"

"I know." Dax shrugs. The idea of becoming a father has temporarily shocked him away from his other plans for Paprika. "Your heart is broken. But I'm no father. Sorry about the nectar-high causing all this! What can I say, I have a weakness. If I see you again, it's at my house, and don't bring the kid."

Paprika is stunned by Dax's tactless reaction, and allows him to leave without argument.

Melody is the one who wants an argument.


"How does this keep happening to you?! Don't you use protection?! These children are going to lead such unstable lives. My own mother was a single mother, and do you know what she was? She was crazy!"

"I'm not crazy!" Paprika snarls.


"You're acting it! You're embarrassing me. I hope you know that."

"You'll love the kid," is Paprika's snarky and tearful comeback. And it's true.


Grim is a fashion concept.



"Paprika takes after you, you know."

"No, she takes after you."

"Did she pull the you'll be a grandparent line on you, too?"

"Yes."

"Smart girl."


Zephram grows quickly into a toddler. He has his mother and grandfather's eye shape, but the irises are gray.

He seems like a smart kid, too.


A baby sister, Paz, joins the household.


Ignoring Leona's possession of the playtable...


"This is Domingo. We've had him for a very long time, Zephram. 
I'd like you to take care of him."

Melody nearly loses her nose. Again.




The house next door is glowing red. Paprika has only read about this in books.


"Haunted?" Carolyn doesn't feel like looking away from the televsion. "Whatever. Just take care of it. Makes sense ghosts would try to attack your family, but then get the house next door. Stupid ghosts."


Three ghosts, according to the scanner's initial read.


But where are they? Paprika has searched most of the house and hasn't heard a peep from the restless souls. She has the feeling she's going to have to go down those ominous stairs, though.


When did the Hill-Archers install this creepy hallway?


Outside Drumheller remains as cool as Carolyn, while Josephine panics. Fog + heels = can't see where she's going.


A long-dead knight menaces poor Grant. Paprika arrives just in time to kick his incorporeal butt.


With the knight's ghost contained and rendered harmless, Paprika hunts down the others. This old man is haunting Josephine's room... which is creepy, until Paprika realizes he's just a sad, confused electrocution victim who barely knows where he is.


Paprika gently convinces him to move on.

Meanwhile, Drumheller has found the third ghost, and loses his composure.

It is a scary nun (he claims), so no one blames him.


Once the nun is taken care of, Paprika returns home. She only finishes half of her lazily thrown-together salad before dropping into bed, exhausted. And while she sleeps through most of the day, her parents babysit. Martin takes less styling appointments, and Melody spends less time sculpting and jamming in the park.


Melody only wishes her daughter would marry. Martin and Melody will not live forever, and it pains Melody to think of her daughter raising two children alone.


When Paprika wakes up, it's off to the mayor's office. Her heroics last night were the best thing they'd heard since Sam Bagley and the lawn flamingo incident, and she is awarded a medal.


Zephram thinks it is a shiny chew toy.

"YOU LOOK FABULOUS! ... Who are you again? 
Did I solicit you or did you call me here?
Sorry, I get zoned out these days... artistic brilliance taking 
over my higher brain functions, you understand..."

________________________________________________________
Etc.: I forgot to mention, Paz and Zephram are loaded with hidden traits. They both have Can Salute, which has been carried in the family since Leona's reign as queen of the house. Zephram also has "Makes no Messes" since one of Cruz's grandparents was a maid (I've always wanted to try this one, though I hear it doesn't do much), and he also has "can apprehend burglar". So I guess another one of Cruz's ancestors is/was a cop. It's not the easiest thing to research, since they're listed as unemployed on the family tree after they die.

Paz's other extra trait is "burglar", which took me by surprise. I think this is the one that allows you to sneak around. I'd always thought it was called "natural sneak."

Their normal traits are grumpy and loves the outdoors (Paz) and neurotic and good (Zephram).

Dax's lines are inspired by his evil + inappropriate trait combination. He also has great kisser.

2 comments:

  1. Dax is hilariously evil and inappropriate.
    I am in love with Martin's pjs.
    The burglar trait is the sneak trait. It's funny your two kids would have the opposite cop/burglar hidden traits. Maybe Zephram can apprehend Paz, lol.
    It's too bad the kids in S3 can't play cops and robbers like they did in Sims 2.
    I love that tie dye pattern on Paprika's top. I way overuse that one myself, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be awesome if Zephram could apprehend Paz. xD Sadly I doubt it.

    I only downloaded the tie dye recently, so I'm having a lot of fun with it.

    ReplyDelete